I recently tried using GoPro's newly released cinema camera, the MISSION1 PRO ILS, with a microscope.
This is GoPro's first cinema camera.
With its 1-inch sensor, it is an excellent match for microscopy.
The MISSION1 PRO ILS features an MFT lens mount and offers the following capabilities:
8K open-gate video recording
4K video recording at 240 fps
Full HD video recording at 960 fps
Still photography at 8192 × 6144 pixels
When the MISSION1 PRO ILS was first announced, my immediate thought was, "This camera was made for microscopy!"
I've attached the Media Mod 2.0 to the MISSION1 PRO ILS.
The Media Mod 2.0 provides HDMI output, so I'm planning to connect an external monitor and give it a try.
For mounting the camera on the microscope, I decided to use a camera holder.
I set a Nikon telephoto zoom lens to 135 mm.
The camera and lens are connected using a Nikon F-to-MFT mount adapter.
I'm using voice commands to take pictures.
Indian Fritillary (Argyreus hyperbius) Wing Objective: Olympus NeoSPlan 5 NIC
White-Spotted Flower Chafer Wing Objective: Olympus NeoSPlan 5 NIC
The photographs are shown at their original resolution, without downsizing.
I'm planning to shoot 8K open-gate video and explore the possibility of creating 3D models from the footage. I think it would be interesting to develop a program that performs focus stacking directly from video.
Open-gate video recording uses nearly the entire sensor area, capturing footage in a 3:2 aspect ratio.
The wider field of view makes it particularly suitable for microscopy.
I originally intended to include a sample of 8K open-gate video in this post. However, editing 8K footage turned out to be much more demanding than I expected.
Even on my PC, which has a 16-core, 32-thread processor and 96 GB of RAM, the estimated encoding time for just two seconds of video was five hours!
So I gave up on that idea.
Once the weather clears up, I'm planning to collect some samples from my biotope and try shooting slow-motion videos of living microorganisms.





Comments
Post a Comment