GoPro MISSION1 PRO ILS – Changes in Field of View With and Without HyperSmooth

I tested how enabling and disabling HyperSmooth affects the field of view on the GoPro MISSION1 PRO ILS.


HyperSmooth is GoPro's well-known image stabilization feature.


This feature is also available on the MISSION1 PRO ILS, which has an interchangeable lens mount.


When using HyperSmooth, you need to enter the focal length of the lens.


With HyperSmooth enabled, the image is cropped slightly to compensate for camera shake.


I wanted to find out how much the field of view changes.



The field of view for still photography represents the full sensor area.


The 8K 3:2 mode uses open-gate video recording.


As you can see, the recording area is slightly smaller than that used for still photography.


- **Photo:** 8192 × 6144 pixels

- **8K 3:2:** 7680 × 5760 pixels


The 4K 16:9 and 2K 16:9 modes use the same sensor sampling area.


Apparently, 4K recording uses 2×2 pixel binning, while 2K recording uses 4×4 pixel binning.


Enabling HyperSmooth reduces the field of view in all recording modes.


This made me wonder whether HyperSmooth also affects image quality, so I compared footage recorded with and without it.


There may be some differences, but I couldn't find any noticeable changes other than the narrower field of view.


For microscopy, I think it is best to turn HyperSmooth off. However, for handheld shooting, I see little reason not to leave it enabled.

Comments